JustUs is an emerging charity that helps people who are currently homeless receive the statutory assistance they are eligible for through Housing Law. It also works to strengthen the knowledge of professionals who work with people who have lost their home through social media and training sessions, and JustUs brings any recurring political issues that are encountered during this work to the attention of relevant authorities.
We know that charities often discount expert advice from those who have been homeless, and keep their input at a tokenistic level at best. JustUs was founded by people with a mix of skills and experiences, including the experience of being homeless, and we are committed to ensuring that our team is a place where people with personal experience of homelessness and other stigmas are enabled to steer and shape our service.
With an annual expenditure of c.£21.5k last year, JustUs is committed to delivering value for money for its funders and forging new ways of effectively working with people who have lost their home. In that sense, JustUs is in an exciting phase where it can trial better ways of working and look critically at the value and pitfalls of charitable work. Having spent 5 years refining our approach we are in a position to increase our capacity significantly.
As a Trustee, you will provide strategic oversight to our work and ensure it is genuinely effective and innovative and that we deliver our charitable purpose.
You will have close relationships with other Trustees and co-founders and spend time getting to know how we make a difference in people’s lives.
What we’re looking for
We are looking to build a team of around 6-9 trustees:
- An understanding of the multiple disadvantages and discrimination that people face when they are homeless
- A ‘big picture’ perspective of the causes of homelessness and a passion for creating effective solutions
- Disclosure and Barring Service clearance to work with vulnerable adults and children
- An ability to share skills and expertise in a team, learn from others and solve issues as they arise
- A commitment to ethical practice and personal integrity
- A desire to invest in a good charity in an exciting point in its development
Desirable experience (any of the following):
- Psychologically-informed practice
- PR / media / publicity
- Project management
- Understanding of the local political landscape / lobbying / campaigning
JustUs encourages applications from all sections of the community. We welcome applicants from all sections of community including those who have been affected by homelessness personally.
This is a voluntary, unpaid role. Each year you’ll commit to:
- 4 full-day Board strategy sessions in Bedford
- 12 Board meetings of three hours in Bedford
- at least one half-day getting feedback from people who we have helped.
JustUs will pay your expenses.
JustUs commits itself to promote equal opportunity and values diversity. We are committed to ensuring that no person will be discriminated against on the grounds of race, ethnicity, disability, religion or belief, age, sex, sexual orientation or marital status.
For more details about the role and application process, please email email@example.com