This one day programme is designed for those working closely with people whose use of drugs and / or alcohol has become problematic.
Participants will be equipped to understand the differences between different substances and the action and impact that substances have on individuals’ physical and mental wellbeing, along with an understanding of what is required and helpful to support changes and the treatment that is available.
Understanding how to actively listen, or when and how to support and challenge behaviour can be powerful tools that are useful in any interaction. This session will look at how to build confidence to challenge behaviours as a professional which will in turn help to build a meaningful rapport and communicate more effectively with individuals.
A combination of learning methods will be used throughout the day, including lecture, workshop and group work. Interactive and experiential methods, in the form of case studies and reflection dilemmas will be used, to inform participant learning and support application to practice.
This course will provide participants with the following learning outcomes:
- Have a better understanding of the effects of drugs & alcohol
- Describe how various drugs affect the body
- Identify reasons why people’s use substances can become problematic, and to clarify when drug or alcohol use has become a problem
- Differentiate between different patterns of drug & alcohol use
- Understand the cycle of change and how to respond appropriately to individuals
- Know how to reduce the risks associated with substance misuse.
- Be able to direct and support individuals into services and understand the treatment support options available to them
We can support delegates with any additional learning needs. Any learning or other needs should be notified to at least 48 hours prior to the course commencing to allow time for the preparation of any specific materials.
Date / Time
The training will run from 9.15am to 4pm and will be delivered online via Zoom.
Upcoming dates for this training are;
- Friday 17th September
- Tuesday 30th November
Cancellations without adequate notice will not be refunded.
This course costs £50 for people attending in a professional capacity and £30 for those paying for it themselves and attending in their own time.